Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Fundamental Truth

Yesterday, my great friend Mike Frazier married Annie Parker.  Their wedding was held in a renovated barn out at Mike's uncle's farm near Harrisonburg, Virginia.  Out in the Shenandoah Valley with the moist, gray clouds capping the mountains, fields of blue-green hay stretching out from the barn, Annie arrived in a horse-drawn carriage looking positively stunning in her white wedding gown.  Honestly, I was all but moved to tears by the sheer beauty of the moment.  I was a groomsman in the wedding party and so standing up front I was able to see the moving expressions of joy on the many people's faces in attendance as Annie gracefully came down the aisle upon departing the carriage.  What a captivating moment, one etched indelibly in my mind never to be forgotten.  Congratulations, you two!            

Waiting for the start ... T-minus-20 minutes to marriage.  
I have always felt so comfortable in Harrisonburg, or elsewhere, hanging out with various members of the Frazier family, be it Mike and Annie, Dave and Erin, Robert and Lisa and their daughter Claire, and as of late, Robert Sr., Bibb, and Cy.  As time has gone by and I've been able to build unique shared histories with each and every one of them (and their families), my life has been greatly enriched.  All day Friday and Saturday, I was just so genuinely impressed with the sincere admiration and respect I observed not only among the family members, but also among the Frazier clan and their many friends that were participating in the grand affair.

Once again, one of the greatest lessons I have learned in my life was reinforced the past couple of days.  I say this so much to myself or to others as I consider it to be one of the most important fundamental truths I have ever learned in my life.  Here it is:

The amount of happiness in your life is strongly associated with 
the quality of the company that you keep.

People like the Fraziers are "accelerators" in your life.  They push you forward, make you feel good about yourself, make you better with hardly any effort, almost by accident, because they are unceasingly wrapping their arms around the world pushing humanity forward.  They listen to what you have to say, ask questions, share in your pleasure and feel your pain, they open their hearts, minds, and souls to you, and when trouble comes, they have your back without stepping over the line from evaluation to judgment.  If you are so lucky as to have several people like this in your life, those possessing great quality and values, then consider yourself really blessed.  

To this end, one wall of my living room is covered with canvas pictures I have taken the past several years from various trips with many friends.  I call it my "Happiness Wall".  Front and center is the picture that started it, a picture Mike gave to me of him and I standing on top of Pico de Orizaba, the tallest mountain in Mexico.  When the day has been rough and I am feeling down, and life has thrown things at me over which I have no control, I will often sit on the couch and look at the pictures on the wall and realize how luck I am to have had these experiences.  Best of all, and most importantly, I am filled with gratitude to have had the pleasure of sharing so many of these experiences with people like Mike.  The light always turns back the darkness.  Always.       

Living big ... myself, Mike, and Annie's scarf.


1 comment:

  1. The Fraziers are as good as "good people" get. I feel lucky to know them as well Phil.

    ReplyDelete