Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Letter to the NRA


National Rifle Association
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

To whom it may concern:


My name is Philip Turk and my membership number is ###.  I have a regular annual membership slated to expire 1/31/2015.  Effective immediately, I ask that you cancel my membership and remove my name from your rolls and any mailing lists.

Yesterday, I was profoundly disturbed to see efforts to pass common-sense gun control legislation scuttled despite an overwhelming majority of American citizens being in favor of it.  Let's not beat around the bush.  We know why this happened.  It happened because of your lobbying efforts and pandering to the fears of your constituents.  My mailbox is routinely stuffed with letters from you that have little to do with truth and higher morality, and have much more to do with requests for money and your own special blend of yellow journalism.

I can no longer live in a culture prefaced on violence and a thirst for guns and there comes a point in one's life where you have to search your soul, toughen up, and take a stand.  While it may very well be cliched, Eldridge Cleaver had it right when he said you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.  By contributing annual dues to the National Rifle Association, I have made the determination, after what happened yesterday, that I am part of the problem and I do not wish for this to be my shining contribution to the planet in my brief stay here.  Furthermore, I am going to encourage others to think about their values and beliefs in order to make their own determination if belonging to your organization does no harm unto others.

Undoubtedly you will dismiss this letter and it will be attributed to the rantings of a liberal academician.  Let me say in closing that my family has a long tradition in the military with my father, uncles, and distant relatives having served during several major wars in the past two centuries; go to Arlington Cemetery and see for yourself.  Furthermore, I have done a large amount of hunting in my life from Alaska to Pennsylvania and many states in between; my fall Arizona elk tag is in the mail as I write this.  My decision to end my membership with the National Rifle Association is my own and has been well thought out.


-- Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment