Tuesday, January 1, 2013

How Do You Know When You've Met Your True Love?

Today is New Year's Day.  I was originally going to post something about a trip I took a couple weekends ago but then I received a phone call from a dear friend that changed this plan.

A relationship they had been involved in had ended and they were very hurt.  All of a sudden all their trust was gone, all their hopes and dreams were gone, as they were left to mourn what would not be and what might have been.  I know what my friend felt because frankly I have been there, too.   However, today the roles were reversed, and their tears were my tears, their pain was my pain, as I struggled to say "I understand".

Earlier last year, another friend asked me, "How do you know when you've met your true love?"  I meditated heavily on this for a few days and wrote a song as my reply.  It was never my intent to put the lyrics on this blog but after considering what transpired today, I decided it was appropriate and timely.  All the songs I have ever written will fade into an obscure oblivion but I can assure you that what follows is from the school of hard knocks and from my heart and is the one song I am humbly most proud of.

This is for my friend that called me today ... may peace, love, and honor envelop you and hold you tightly.


Flow like a River

(A friend) asked how she'd know when she finally met her true love 
What would she say?  How would she feel? 
When she finally met the real deal? 

I said listen to your heart and do the things you love
And then your true love will find you
Do not bargain with yourself
And pull back on what you believe in

There is no fear, there is no doubt
There's nothing left for you to figure out
There is no blame, there is no shame
Cause this time tell yourself that things won't be the same

Chorus
And it shall flow like a river ...
From the mountain snow, let your love grow
And it shall flow like a river ...
So patiently, for the whole world to see

The person you connect with will want to be with you
You are free of time, space, and place
In the glow of the moment

Don't create information in your mind
Especially where there is none
If you're working too hard it's time to step back
And rethink what is obvious

There's no pressure, no expectation
Let your kindness guide your soul
There are no grudges, and no demands
You'll trust in your true love until the very end

Chorus 2x
And it shall flow like a river ...
From the mountain snow, let your love grow
And it shall flow like a river ...
So patiently, for the whole world to see

In Seattle, to the eastern shores
All across the world it's the same
You will know it, you will know it
When you finally met your true love
You will know it, and you're good enough
You'll just know it
Let the river take you where it will ...

-- Philip Turk, ©

No comments:

Post a Comment